Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Beef Barbecue



.

This recipe is the only recipe that I have from my grandmother, my father's mother. Most of my memories of my grandmother are of her infirm -- with a bad back, perpetually stooped over or sitting on a heating pad. I have very few memories of her in the kitchen, but I do remember that she made me Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff sandwiches, and I do remember this Barbecue recipe.

Unlike most Barbecued Beef, made from a big meaty chuck roast, this recipe starts with ground beef (and so it's very budget friendly). It's a little like Sloppy Joe, but sweeter and with a hint of cloves. It's a great recipe for a crowd, because you can double or triple it -- just use a big pot. My grandmother and my mother always served it with cole slaw -- right on top of the meat, and so that's the way I serve it, also. I made a big pot on Saturday after Thanksgiving, and it was very popular! I always make a pot between Christmas and New Year's as well -- there are always many mouths to feed! This recipe couldn't be easier, so you can mix up a batch and enjoy the smells while you visit with your guests.



Grandmother's Barbecue

2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
¼ t. garlic powder
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar (more or less, to taste)
1 c. water
¼ bottle ketchup (vague, I know, it's about a big cup)
2 t. mustard
2 T. Worcestershire
pinch of cloves
(big or little pinch -- to taste; start with a little and add more if you like it)

Brown beef with onion and garlic powder. Add remaining ingredients and simmer two hours. Serve on buns with Cabbage Slaw.

Menu Suggestions: In the winter I like to serve this with Scalloped Potatoes and a creamy salad like this Waldorf Salad. In the summer I serve it with Potato Salad and fresh fruit.


.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this recipe, especially with the slaw and scalloped potatoes! I love that you post pictures and give whole meal ideas.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you can resolve them with diet & lifestyle changes.

GRILLirious said...

This recipe sounds delicious - I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing your family recipe and memories with us.