Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Creole Shrimp and Sausage Stew

.
One of my favorite lines in Julie & Julia was when Julie says she read somewhere that it's a show of poor manners to say "Yum" while you're eating. And then she bites into a pork chop and says, "Yum." I laughed because I do that all the time -- such a boor I am.

I'm afraid we had a show of really poor manners the night I made this stew dish, because there were many "yums" all around the table. It was a five thumbs-up meal -- absolutely no complaints. This is a mildly spicy dish, (but not too spicy for any of us, including the kids) with the spice coming mostly from the canned tomatoes and chilies, and the Tony Chachere's I added. I found the recipe at myrecipes.com, and followed it pretty closely, but with a few changes. I am posting it as I made it. I served mine over white rice, but brown would be nice if your gang will eat it.




Creole Shrimp and Sausage Stew
serves 6 to 8

2 T. olive oil
1 c. chopped bell pepper (I used half red/half green)
2 c. sliced turkey smoked sausage (I used Butterball and I used the entire package -- just a little over 2 cups)
2 large cloves garlic, crushed or minced
small can chicken broth
1 t. Tony Chachere's
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (I used Rotel)
1 lb. peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained


Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Add bell pepper, sausage, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until bell pepper is tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth, spices, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp and beans; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until shrimp are done. Serve over rice.



Source: Adapted from myrecipes.com



.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We made this tonight and absolutely loved it. We love Tony Chachere's so when I saw that in the ingredients I knew we had to make it. This will become one of our menu choices from now on. THANKS!