Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Pumpkin Scones with Ginger Icing

.

Having opened a large can of pumpkin over the weekend for this coffee cake, and stowed the rest in the fridge, I was looking for a way to use up some of the leftovers. Since it was, like 7 o'clock on Monday morning, I was thinking scones. I had filed away a blog post in my memory and after a few clicks I was there. I modified the recipe just a tad for family preferences and because I omitted the white chips, I added a ginger icing. Yum!





Pumpkin Scones with Ginger Icing
makes 12

2 c. all-purpose flour
⅓ c. light or dark brown sugar
1 t. ground ginger
1 t. cinnamon
dash ground nutmeg
pinch ground cloves
1 t. baking powder
¼ t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
½ c. cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
½ c. buttermilk
½ c. pumpkin puree
1¼ t. vanilla

1 c. powdered sugar
¾ t. ground ginger
½ t. vanilla
2 T. half & half

Preheat the oven to 400° F and place a rack in the middle of the oven. Grease a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla, and then add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix the dough.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times. Pat the dough into two 6-8 inch circles about 3/4" high. Cut each round into six triangles. Carefully place the scones on the baking sheet with about 1 inch in between each.

Bake for 15-18 min
Linkutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
Link
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and ginger. Add vanilla and half & half and stir until you get a thin spreadable consistency, adding more half & half if necessary. Spread over tops of scones.



.

5 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

I was always perplexed about what to do with the leftover pumpkin from a recipe that only called for 1 C. until I found a recipe for pumpkin bread that uses the whole can! Although, seeing your beautiful scones is making me rethink that decision!

Sara said...

Be still my heart! I'd love some of these right now. Can I come over?

Barbara said...

You can come over, but they were gone by Wednesday!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe. I am going to make them for my Bible study on Monday. They look delicious.

Barbara C. said...

I made these last fall and they were awesome! Best pumpkin scones I've ever tasted. Then I made them substituting sweet potatoes for the pumpkin and they were equally wonderful. I thought I had printed the recipe, but couldn't find it- I was so glad to finally find your recipe again.