Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Cranberry Waldorf Salad

If you don't care for cranberry sauce, nor a cranberry relish, but would still like to serve some cranberries for Thanksgiving simply because you think you should serve cranberries for Thanksgiving, this recipe may be for you.

I made this salad last night to serve with out pot roast and it was really wonderful. I can't say the kids enjoyed it (it had celery in it -- gasp!), but Doug and I really enjoyed it, and I noticed the kids picking the apples and grapes out when they thought I wasn't looking. I found the original recipe at allrecipes.com, and then I altered it a bit.

I thought the cranberries might be tart, but they were not. I chopped them very finely (I cut each cranberry into six bits) and I never got a tart bite (I will use the food processor in the future). But, if you really don't like fresh cranberries, you could make the same salad omitting the cranberries and substituting the raisins with Craisins -- that would be delicious too. Even though I'm already serving cranberry sauce and cranberry relish, I think this salad is going to make it to my Thanksgiving table also. It's healthy and light and I'm thinking it will be a good thing to break up all that fat!




Cranberry Waldorf Salad
(a small serving each for 10)

1 1/2 cups chopped cranberries
2 cups chopped red apple
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup seedless grapes, halved
1/3 cup raisins
1 t. lemon juice

2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (8 ounce) container vanilla low-fat yogurt

1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted and cooled


In a medium bowl, combine cranberries, apple, celery, grapes, and raisins.
Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice and toss lightly with your hands.
Add sugar, cinnamon, and yogurt and stir to combine.
Cover, and chill 2 hours.
Add walnuts and stir just before serving.


.

1 comment:

LauraSuz said...

Looks great! I'm making it. I think it will be nice to have something cool on the table.