Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham


Our dinner last night is one of those recipes that I thought would be in everyone's cookbook. But after talking to a few people, I find it's not quite as popular in other households as it is in mine. It's a wonderful cool weather meal -- the smell of the potatoes and ham cooking is so comforting, and the heat generated by the oven keeps the kitchen all toasty. You can prepare this dinner in the afternoon, since it needs a few hours to bake, and enjoy some down time, knowing your supper is already finished. All it needs is a vegetable and maybe some fruit (homemade applesauce is a great side for this dish).

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

8 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly (about 1/8 ")
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
3/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
3 c. milk
1 ham steak, trimmed and cubed in bite-size pieces

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9 x 13 pan.
Place half potatoes in dish. Top with onions, then ham.
Top with remaining potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
Add flour and whisk.
Add salt and pepper and cook until bubbly.
Stir in milk and whisk.
Cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
Pour sauce over potatoes. Bake at 350 for 2 hours, until potatoes are tender.

Variation: for a side dish, omit ham.
.

11 comments:

Dea said...

I am definitely going to try this. Sounds like my kind of food.

Just a quick question - how much flour... doesn't seem to be in the ingredient list! Thanks!

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

I had the same question. I am planning on making it for lunch today. Help!

Barbara said...

Whoops, I typed margarine instead of flour -- it's 4 T.

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Your email came through as I was standing here with whisk in hand and flour ready to pour! Thanks!

Marye said...

oh yum. that sounds so good.

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Thank you for this recipe Barb. You were so right about the yummy smell in the house! It also makes an excellent leftover breakfast casserole! Reheated next to some scrambled eggs, mmmmmmmmmm good!

Barbara said...

I'm glad you liked it, M. It's a nice dish to have regularly. And, yes, the leftovers are yummy!

Dea said...

This is for dinner tonight at my house. Thanks for the clarification on the flour! Looking forward to trying this!

Dea said...

Well super yummy! Everyone loved it - even Ella the great onion detective! ;-) Thanks for sharing Barbara, will definitely be making again!

Barbara said...

I'm so happy that you enjoyed this dish, Deborah. And I'm glad little Ella didn't spy any onions!

Unknown said...

I just found your blog a little while ago, and I just love it. Lots of recipes for comfort foods that I love; I can't wait to try them. We are going to try your Whoopie Pies tomorrow - they sound really yummy! I have bookmarked your blog, so I may be a more active lurker in the future - thanks for posting such yummy recipes.

Oh, and BTW, my mom's name is Barbara, too, and she is also Catholic (I converted to Episcopalian many years ago), so I feel a special kinship to you! Have a lovely day!