Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fried Fried Chicken

.

You remember that a week ago my oven went kaput for the last time. I had prepared a recipe for oven-fried chicken, turned on the oven and...nothing. Cold oven.

Well, I had more than a dozen pieces of chicken all floured for oven-fried chicken and no oven. So, I fried it. Fried fried it.

I love fried chicken, but I recognize that it is really not very good for us. All that fat in the pan goes somewhere (my waist!). But, desperate times call for desperate measures. Fortunately this fried fried chicken turned out great. So well, in fact, I thought I'd share the recipe. It was very tasty, slightly sweet (strangely, a good thing), and crispy.

Lana gave me this recipe (found on my Freezer Meal Festival post) as a method for oven frying. I can't say how it would turn out in the oven, but it was great fried on the stove. It has an odd mix of ingredients, and my husband and kids seemed to think it was better than the Colonel's. I don't know if I'd go that far, but it was good and with the price of KFC, much less expensive. Of course, you have to do more than go through the drive-thru.





Kentucky Fried Chicken

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 T. paprika
1 envelope tomato Lipton Cup-a-soup
1 package Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
1/2 t. seasoned salt
chicken pieces (I had a dozen drumsticks and four whole bone-in breasts cut in half)

Combine flour, seasonings, contents of soup and salad dressing packets in a large bowl.
Rinse chicken pieces and blot dry with paper towels.
Trim any large bits of fat.
Dip chicken into flour mixture and set on a platter.

Heat a large skillet on the stove over medium-high heat.
Add oil to the depth of about 1/2 inch. Heat until oil is hot.
Add chicken, being careful not to crowd the pieces.

Cook, turning occasionally until chicken is browned and done in the middle. Turn heat down to medium about halfway through cook-time so it does not brown too much.
Drain on a baking rack and keep warm while you cook remaining chicken pieces.

To follow the recipe for oven frying:
Preheat oven to 350.
Place on well greased cookie sheet.
Coat with melted butter.
Let bake for 1 hour.
For crisper chicken, baste every 15 minutes with 1 t. oil and 1 t. water per piece.



.

3 comments:

Crafty P said...

something I just never make, but wow, does that look GOOOOOOOD!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Do you have problems with your breading falling off when you pan fry? Maybe I'm not using enough oil. Maybe I'm afraid of oil. Maybe I should just get over my culinary fears and move forward. Maybe...

Anyway.

My chicken sticks to the pan.

Please help.

Barbara said...

Your oil must be very, very hot before you put the first piece in. Whenever my chicken sticks, it's because I was not patient enough to let the oil get really hot. I find the same thing with the grill -- the chicken skin sticks unless it's really hot. Also, don't crowd the pan because the oil temp drops too far.