Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Three slaws -- One Dressing

.


Last week when the farm delivered three heads of kohlrabi came I was staring at them
wondering what I would do with them. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't. Here's one from a farming co-op. Mine came with just bulbs. They look pretty much like turnips, but greenish. They were about 4 inches in diameter, firm, and dirty. I looked at them and looked at them and decided they were definitely going to be slaw.

I prefer slaw to salad almost any day. I think it's a texture thing -- a firm crunch as opposed to a soft, leafy crunch. I think I also like a mayo dressing more than a vinaigrette. Fortunately I have found many veggies with which to turn into slaw, and now I have added kohlrabi to the list. This slaw was delish with our Buttermilk Brined Chicken Legs and the Roasted Sweet Potatoes. It was just a little spicy from the jalapeno, but deliciously crunchy and creamy. I had read that kohlrabi tastes like the stalk of broccoli and I think that's a pretty accurate description. I put it through the matchstick disc (3mm x 3mm) on my food processor and it sliced beautifully. You could add carrot to it and it would be a great addition. I liked the simplicity, though of just the kohlrabi, jalapeno, red onion and dressing.

The dressing I used for the Kohlrabi Slaw, I use with cabbage slaw, and broccoli salad. It's sweet and tangy and provides the perfect backdrop for the ingredients in each salad.



Creamy, Crunchy Kohlrabi Slaw

2 (4-inch) bulbs Kohlrabi, cleaned
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 T. sugar
1 T. cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Trim any hard, dry parts off outside of kohlrabi bulb.
Cut off ends.
Using 3mm x 3mm disc on food processor, process bulbs into matchsticks (this makes about 2 cups kohlrabi).
(Alternately, you can hand chop into matchsticks.)
Place kohlrabi, jalapeno and red onion in bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar until creamy and smooth.
Add dressing to vegetables and toss.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately or chill until serving time.
(The longer the slaw sits, the runnier it gets, so it's better not to let it sit too long.)

~~~~~~~~

Cabbage Slaw

4 cups shredded cabbage (I like to use both red and green)
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 c. mayonnaise
2 T. sugar
2 T. cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots and onions.
In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar until creamy and smooth.
Add dressing to vegetables and toss.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately or chill until serving time.
(The longer the slaw sits, the runnier it gets, so it's better not to let it sit too long.)

~~~~~~~~

Broccoli Salad

4 to 5 cups broccoli (or a combination of broccoli and cauliflower can be used)
1/3 cup diced red onion (green onion could also be used)
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 c. mayonnaise
2 T. sugar
2 T. cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl combine broccoli and onion with raisins.
In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar until creamy and smooth.
Add dressing to vegetables and toss.
Sprinkle on sunflower seeds and bacon and toss gently.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately or chill until serving time.



.


No comments: