Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Weekly Menu


.
We're back from vacation. We just spent five days in sunny South Carolina low country. What a culinary delight! Seafood galore and loads of dishes we don't normally see in the Midwest -- fried okra, creamy cheesy grits, buttery tender lima beans, simmered greens. Yum. We only ate out twice -- once on the way and once there, but both in South Carolina. The rest I cooked in, and all the food was quite a treat with local ingredients. One night we had Shrimp Scampi made with the freshest shrimp I ever ate. It was so fresh it was alive just the afternoon before. I will share the recipe with you because it was truly the yummiest shrimp I have ever eaten, but unless you can get really fresh shrimp I fear it won't quite be the same.

Now we're back to real life and I just registered the kids for homeschool and am moving into back-to-school mode. This week we'll be busy getting high school boy outfitted, and writing up lesson plans and study guides and all the rest for the two younger children.

My Noah has a birthday tomorrow -- my Assumption baby -- he will turn 13! Of course, he's already as big as a man, is taller than his mama with size 11 feet, so he might as well catch up in years. He has requested a steak dinner, twice baked potatoes and flan, and I will oblige him. The rest of the week I'm keeping it simple and cheap. I have a few things in the freezer (pulled BBQ pork, some packages of chicken pieces, and a whole turkey) to give my grocery bill a break. I spent over $300 at the grocer in S.C. -- quite a shock for five days worth of food -- so I'll really watch it for a while.

Saturday
Dinner: Steak, Twice baked potatoes, Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad,
Flan

Sunday
Lunch: Skyline Chili
Dinner: Crunchy Chicken Casserole, Ambrosia Salad, sweet muffins

Monday
Lunch: pizza
Dinner: Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Cabbage Slaw, Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Tuesday
Lunch: creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese
Dinner: Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore, pasta, green beans

Wednesday
Lunch: hamburgers
Dinner: My Mother's Chili

Thursday
Lunch: bagels and cream cheese
Dinner: Roast turkey, mashed potatoes, Summer Succotash

Friday
Lunch: tuna salad
Dinner: Black bean Burritos, Cabbage Lime Salad, yellow rice

* Tried and true
* New to me

.

No comments: