Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chicken Fingers

.

Well, now that we got all that cake out of our system we can focus on real food.

Except chicken fingers aren't real food.

Every time we eat chicken fingers my kids recite that line from
Napoleon Dynamite, "Do the chickens have large talons?" I laugh every time. It just reminds me that "fingers" are a really strange thing to call pieces of chicken.

These chicken fingers are one of our favorites. Of course the kids love them. Technically they are kid food. But they are tasty enough to keep the adults happy, too. With the addition of the Cane's Sauce, they are pretty yummy. These fingers don't get really crunchy, but I like them that way.
They are reminiscent of the softer fingers at Cane's that we love. If you like them crunchy, use panko instead of bread crumbs.




Chicken Fingers

1 c. Italian bread crumbs
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ c. vegetable oil
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a plastic bag or a bowl, mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; set aside. In a small bowl, combine garlic and oil. Cut chicken breast into 1-in. wide strips. Dip strips into oil; coat with crumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.


"Cane's" Sauce
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. Tony Chachere seasoning
dash Tabasco
pinch black pepper

Mix sauce ingredients thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Chill until ready to serve.



.

4 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Looks yummy! If I don't have Italian bread crumbs, what can I do instead?

Barbara said...

Oh Charlotte, I'm probably too late, but just use plain bread crumbs and add a little oregano, basil, salt and pepper -- really whatever you like.

Just got home from vacation and these chicken fingers sound good now!

Nicole said...

Barbara,
Just made these for supper. I cut up the chicken into bite size pieces after I baked them and served them with the sauce in a tortilla with lettuce, carrots, and pickles. My oldest said I could make these every night (his highest culinary compliment!) Thanks for a great recipe and a great site, I love it! Thank you also for all your prayers for us, we really appreciate them.

God Bless,
Nicole

Barbara said...

Dear Nicole,
I'm so glad you enjoyed them. I like the idea of popping them into a tortilla -- we'd eat fewer fingers and a few veggies that way!

And you are welcome for the prayers. From my mouth to God's ears!