Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer Succotash

.

The farming co-op has been an interesting experience. I truly enjoy getting my produce delivered right from the farm. I like supporting my local community. I like eating produce that is grown without pesticides and artificial fertilizers.

It's also interesting not knowing what you're getting. And when I say interesting, I mean somewhat frustrating. I'm a planner. I like to know what's coming. But, I'm learning to make do. You cut your pattern to fit your cloth, right?

Last week I made do with a little bit of everything. One problem with the farm produce, is my share is really not big enough for my family. One yellow squash and one zucchini is not enough for a night's dinner. But, by combining several veggies like I did last week, I had plenty for dinner and enough for my lunch the next day. And this succotash was so fresh and tasty, it was a delight to eat it twice. What this lacks in beauty, it more than makes up for in taste.

You can make a succotash with a variety of vegetables. Mine included diced green and yellow summer squash, green beans, green peas, yellow onion, garlic and green onion. It would have been great with some fresh corn, spinach, pea pods, even fresh peppers. I wouldn't try any other leafy vegetables besides spinach, and winter squash needs to cook longer, but you can make this with so many different kinds of vegetables it would never get old.

My kids and husband did eat it, and proclaimed it "good," but they weren't as crazy about it as I was. But then, I'm a veggie girl.





Summer Succotash

3 T. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 c. diced yellow onion
4 c. diced, or bite-size, vegetables*
1/4 c. chopped green onions
2 T. butter
salt and pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and yellow onion and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add vegetables and green onions and cook over medium-high heat until tender and lightly golden brown (about 10 to 15 minutes), stirring frequently but gently. Add butter and salt and pepper to taste and stir. Taste for seasoning and serve.


* If using green beans, steam until al dente before adding. I cooked mine in the microwave with a little water. If using carrots or any other longer cooking vegetable, do the same.



.

No comments: