Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Salted Deep Dish Brownies



I have recently become aware of how the simple sprinkling of coarse salt on a baked good can completely change the taste. I experimented for the first time last year with Jeni's Salted Caramel Ice Cream (apparently I forgot to blog about that one), and then at Christmas with Annie's Salted Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars. Of course, I had tried neither of those recipes without the salt, so I can't say how the salt changed the flavor.


I make these brownies all the time, however, so I can honestly say a little sprinkle of salt truly changes the flavor. With a really coarse sea salt, you get the salty flavor and tiny bit of crunch in almost every bite. It's really remarkable how good, how different it is. I saw them somewhere online -- it may have been Annie's Salty Caramel Brownies -- but I didn't want caramel, I just wanted the chocolate with the salt. So I used my favorite old stand-by brownie recipe, which is so quick and easy, but so chocolatey and fudgie, and after they cooled for a short while, I cut them and then sprinkled some coarse sea salt across the top (I think cutting them after sprinkling would displace the salt unless you cut them and left them in the pan). Yum. I then made them another day and we placed them beneath a scoop of brown sugar ice cream and hot fudge sauce. Yum. I don't think you can go wrong here.






Salted Deep Dish Brownies
makes 16


3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
2 eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease an 8 inch square pan.
In a large bowl, blend melted butter, sugar and vanilla.
Beat in eggs one at a time.
Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
Gradually blend into the egg mixture.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until brownies begin
to pull away from the sides of the pan.
Let cool for about 25 minutes until the top feels coolish but the bottom is still warm. 
Cut brownies with a bench knife of sharp kitchen knife. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.

No comments: