Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Really Good Brownies


Yesterday I went a huntin' on allrecipes for a dessert recipe that I could make with what was on hand. Namely not a cake, and not a pie, and not cookies, and nothing with brown sugar in it. I came upon this brownie recipe. Now, I have, for the most part, been of the belief that it's hard to improve upon boxed brownie mix. It's not perfect, but for the effort involved, it's pretty darned good. And you can easily doctor them up and get a pretty yummy brownie.

But yesterday I proved myself wrong. These are better than boxed brownies. Way. And I threw them together in about 6 minutes -- I had to wait until the oven finished preheating, that's how fast they were. I altered the recipe a tad (one less egg and less baking powder), so I'm posting the altered version instead of the original. They were fudgy on the inside, but buttery crisp on the outside. And I ate all my supper, so I could have, um, three, right? Cut 'em small and you won't feel guilty. And be sure to get one while they're still warm. Mmmmm.


Deep Dish Brownies

3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease an 8 inch square pan.
In a large bowl, blend melted butter, sugar and vanilla.
Beat in eggs one at a time.
Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
Gradually blend into the egg mixture.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until brownies begin
to pull away from the sides of the pan.
Let brownies cool, then cut into squares.

.

No comments: