Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Hot Fudge Sauce - or Hot Cocoa As The Case May Be


I've been meaning to write a little bit about one of my favorite budget-booster cookbooks. While the title doesn't thrill me all that much (who wants to be known as miserly?) Miserly Meals by Jonni McCoy is a great help in any kitchen. I suppose you could say it's a cookbook only for scrimpers, but I don't know anyone who isn't pinching pennies in one way or another. We all know that the bill collectors won't take a penny less than they are owed, but frankly we can always squeeze a few more groceries out of our dollars. Food is just the one place in the budget that flexes.

Anyway, back to my story. I was meaning to write about this book and maybe even sneak in a recipe or two, when I got up this morning to fix my men breakfast, and I grabbed the milk and my jar of chocolate sauce out of the fridge. I don't usually make them hot beverages because they're always pressed for time and you just can't gulp down a cup of cocoa like juice, but we had a few seconds today. So I poured mugs of milk and added a big spoon of my homemade chocolate fudge sauce, microwaved them for a minute, and stirred. I tell you that the Mmmms were audible next door. I even got, "This is sweeet." And he wasn't talkin' about sugar sweet. That means it was good.

So, I share with you one of the many secrets in this happy little cookbook: Hot Fudge Sauce. This recipe is one of many recipes I use on a regular basis -- a few others being Chocolate Sauce (just like Hershey's), Butterscotch sauce, chicken-flavored rice mix, Teriyaki sauce, salad dressings and quite a few main dishes. The main dishes are simple and pretty basic, but the nice thing is, the author breaks down the cost per serving. So, if you're really tight -- just peruse for really inexpensive recipes. My most favorite recipes, however, are those for sauces and mixes, like the Hot Fudge Sauce, because you can make them from the regular ingredients you always have in your pantry. That's the way to save money -- just buy the basics and make the rest.

Hot Fudge Sauce

1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/8 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter
1 t. vanilla

In a 1-qt. saucepan, combine the cocoa, sugar, and salt.
Mix together until lumps are gone.
Add milk and butter and stir.
Place over medium heat and stir occasionally until butter is melted.
Once the butter melts, stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved (but do not boil).
Remove from heat.
Stir in vanilla after sauce cools.

Store in a jar in the refrigerator for 2-3 months.
It will be very thick when cold, but thins out when heated
(microwave or heat in a pan on low).

For mint chocolate topping, add 1/2 t. peppermint extract with the vanilla.


Use for ice cream topping, for dipping fruit or topping for brownies
(or stir into a mug of hot milk for great cocoa!)

.

2 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I have that cookbook and was thinking of trying out the chocolate sauce--thanks for the confirmation that it is a good recipe!

Unknown said...

Just tried the hot fudge chocolate sauce and it was just what I was looking for. It's easy and it taste great! Thank-you for sharing this.