Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fish Tacos with Lime Cilantro Crema


I'm joining Sarah and Pam today to share the best of my time spent online.

It's funny, since I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, I definitely spend more time online. But it feels like I spend less time online, because I rarely sit at the computer with my back to my family. I think there is something to be said about that. When I am online, I am usually at the kitchen table or in a chair in the living room, facing my family and open to their needs and conversation. I used to feel guilty about being online because I was facing the computer and my family saw my back. I did not feel like I could adequately see what was going on with my children, or take care of meals, while I was online. Now, I can carry "online" around with me, or leave it sit and do what I need to do without feeling like I am peeling myself away from the screen.




Anyway, that brings me to this recipe, which I saw one day recently while I was surfing. I love fish tacos, and whenever I eat out and fish tacos are on the menu, I get them. But I have never fixed them at home. This recipe changed that because they were so simple and delicious, I can make them any time.

I omitted the coriander from the rub for the fish because I detest it. I love cilantro, however, and definitely added the full quarter cup to the Lime Crema. The sauce really made this dish special even though it was so simple to throw together. We topped our fish with the sauce and shredded red cabbage and enjoyed some spicy Peppercorn on the side. I was unable to get red snapper in Columbus, Ohio, which I figured would be the case, so I subbed catfish, which is an equally mild and medium-firm fish. It was great and cheap and available.



Fish Tacos


Crema:
1/4 c. thinly sliced green onions
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
3 T. mayonnaise 
3 T. sour cream
1 t. grated lime rind (I did not use this)
1 1/2 t. fresh lime juice
1/4 t. salt
1 garlic clove, minced


Fish:
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. smoked paprika
1/4 t. ground red pepper
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. garlic powder
1 1/2 pounds red snapper fillets (or catfish or another mild, white, medium-firm fish)


8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cabbage 


Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare crema, combine crema ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

To prepare tacos, combine spices in a small bowl; sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of fish. 
Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 9 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. 

Place fish in a bowl; break into pieces with a fork. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; top each with 1/4 cup cabbage and 1 tablespoon crema.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah yes. I've heard others say that about their portable devices, too. I think I want a Kindle Fire.

These look great! I've never made Fish Tacos before, but this recipe looks doable and yummy.

Katie said...

Oh, that looks awesome. I'm going to have to save this recipe!

Linda said...

My kids love fish tacos...I'd better get on the ball and try them, don't you think?

Kelly said...

Haha! I'm the complete opposite from you. I can only handle cilantro in very limited quantities and I like coriander. :)

These sound amazing, Barbara. I love fish tacos, and like you, I order them whenever I see them on the menu. Thank goodness I live in an area with many Mexican restaurants to choose from. I'm going to print this out and try to make it this weekend. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for sharing it.

Sara said...

Thanks to you, I love fish tacos, too! I really need to make these. Maybe I'll put them on the beachweek menu.

Pam Barnhill said...

Hmmmm fish tacos? Those look good. May have to try them out.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Warning: use "crunchy" taco shells or you will have a mess. We all resorted to eating these with forks since the soft taco shells didn't hold up. Otherwise--DELICIOUS!