Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Back to the Party

.

I sort of got off track in the last week or so, in my preparation for our graduation party. Previously I posted an Asparagus Pasta Salad that I plan to serve, and this week I posted a Mexican Jumping Bean Salad that I will also serve. But, I've been having a heck of time coming up with the rest of the menu for my graduate's party. My grad asked for simple yellow cupcakes with buttercream frosting, so I know I'll make those along with a few other simple desserts for a buffet, but that leaves some big gaps in a meal.

We are not "big party" people. I'd have a one-on-one with our friends over a big bash any day. But, sometimes big bashes are called for. And the problem with big bashes is, not only having enough food, but having the right food. You can't serve food for 50 to 75 people that must be served at just a certain time or just a certain temperature. It has to be food that doesn't get soggy (tossed salads) when left for 30 minutes or longer, or food that spoils quickly.

I've been scouring my recipes for several weeks looking for food that's good, simple, and easy to serve a crowd, and I think I've settled on a menu. We're having a day-long bash, with the meal in the middle. I'll have snacks out all day, but shoot for an hour-or-so-long dinner period, with a dessert buffet afterward. I have no idea yet how many I'm serving. It could be a really big group or an intimate crowd. I'll be happy with both, and I think my menu can be adjusted for either.

Last night I hand-pressed 70 hamburgers, and bought 9 pounds of chicken to roast for BBQ chicken sandwiches. Several of the salads can be prepared, up to the dressing, a day or two ahead, so that will help me get some things out of the way before the party day. I can also bake all of the desserts a day or two ahead. I already have my biscotti in the freezer.

Many of these recipes I've already posted, so I'll link. Leave me a comment if you're planning a bash and we'll share tips!

Snacks

White Bean Dip and Veggie Chips
Cowboy Caviar and Tortilla Chips
Checca and bread
(the checca recipe is from CPK and the recipe can be found online here)


Dinner

Barbecued chicken (prepared like this pork recipe
and put in the crock pot)
Grilled burgers and toppings
Grilled hot dogs and toppings
Asparagus Pasta Salad
Au Gratin Potatoes
Cucumber Tomato Salad
Mexican Jumping Bean Slaw


Dessert

Frosted Sugar Cookies
Yellow cupcakes with buttercream frosting
Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares


.

2 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I have a few years yet before I have to plan a bash like this one but your menu looks great!

Dea said...

Wow Barbara - you won't be able to get people to leave! ;-) A fabulous menu. Hope you all have a wonderful day and congrats to the graduate!