Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recipe Review -- Mexican Jumping Bean Slaw


Good stuff this recipe. I noticed it at Farm Girl Fare a while back and it has been calling to me. You may already know that I love beans, and I also love cabbage. Both are inexpensive, but you'd never know this is a budget-friendly recipe. It just tastes good. I prepared it for dinner last night -- with burgers and fruit. We were supposed to have a big crowd of hungry male teenagers, but that fell through and we just had grandpa. I decided not to fix potatoes and we just feasted on burgers (they taste so good at the beginning of the summer), veggies and fruit. It was very refreshing.

I prepared this recipe almost exactly as it was posted at Farm Girl Fare. I skipped the chicken, since we were having burgers, but I can see that adding chicken and putting this slaw on corn tortillas would be really yummy. I also skipped the coriander in the dressing because I detest the flavor, but it would be good with cilantro (I know this is the same plant, but I'm sorry, it does not taste the same to me!). I messed a little with the quantities of some of the veggies and the ingredients in the dressing, and I used frozen corn instead of canned, but I don't think it's too far from the original. I'm posting it as I made it, but go to Farm Girl Fare to see the original.

Updated to add: This recipe has the added benefit of being just as good the next day. The cabbage didn't wilt at all and it was just as tasty. Because it was so good and can be made ahead (at least up to the dressing part) I'll be adding it to the menu for our graduation party in a few weeks.


Farm Girl's Mexican Jumping Bean Slaw

3 cups (about 9 ounces) shredded green cabbage
1 cup (about 3 ounces) shredded purple cabbage
1 large sweet red pepper, diced
2 medium carrots, grated
4 large scallions, chopped
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
Salt to taste

2-1/2 cups High Kickin’ Creamy Tomato Dressing (see recipe below)

In a large bowl, combine green cabbage, purple cabbage, red peppers, carrots, black beans, and corn. Add 2 cups dressing and mix well, adding another 1/2 cup dressing if desired. Salt to taste. Serve immediately, or for best flavor, chill for several hours or overnight. Slaw will keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.


Dressing

1 pound juicy, vine-ripened tomatoes (I used 4 Romas), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup yogurt (I used nonfat)
1 cup sour cream (I used lowfat)
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
1-1/2 t ground cumin, preferably freshly ground
1 teaspoon chile powder (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth,
adding a little more tomato if it’s too thick.
Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.

,

No comments: