Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Shrimp, and Peppers, and Grits -- Oh my!



.


You can click on that picture if you want,
but I'm afraid you still won't be able to taste it!




Not being a southerner (in geography) I have never prepared Shrimp and Grits. I suppose that makes me a pretty lousy southerner (at heart), though I have enjoyed this dish many times, even in Ohio. I saw this recipe a few weeks ago at Cooking Light and put it on my mental list of dishes to try. Then, I put it on my menu -- three times. Twice it was replaced with something else because of our family's schedule. But, last night I finally made it and after one bite my husband said, "This has to go on the blog" -- a statement that means, "I would most definitely eat this again." It was a five thumbs up dinner, and it was so quick and easy it will definitely make it to the menu again soon. Honestly -- this was a 30-minute meal, even with peeling shrimp. If you buy frozen shrimp, put them in the fridge the night before so they are thawed when you need them.

I admit I changed the recipe a little, and I probably ruined the "low-fativity," but after eating it, I can not imagine having not used regular bacon -- it just put the dish over the top, taste-wise.



Shrimp, Peppers and Grits
serves 4-5

Printer-friendly version

4 strips bacon

1 cup red bell pepper strips

1 cup green bell pepper strips

1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained

1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 2/3 cups milk
 
16-ounces low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
(I used regular)
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until lightly browned and almost crisp, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers; cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes; cook 3 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 3-5 minutes. Stir in green onions; keep warm.
While bacon and vegetables are cooking, combine milk and broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and stir in grits. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese. Serve shrimp mixture over grits.

Source: adapted from Cooking Light
.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That looks sooo good, Barbara! We often have grits for breakfast, I wonder what the kids would think if we had them for supper? I will try this soon! Thanks!

LauraSuz said...

This is a dish I would have seen and passed right over but maybe I'll give it a try now.

Was the texture different with the grits and shrimp?

Barbara said...

Laura, I'm not sure what you're asking -- do you mean different from each other -- the shrimp and grits -- or different from something else?