Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Weekly Menu

.

I enjoyed our exchange yesterday. Many of you were so nice to leave comments, and I appreciated having adult "conversation" during my day. It was lovely. I think we'll probably stick with natural peanut butter. After thinking about the pros and cons, I decided that any additional saturated/trans fat in my diet is unacceptable. I enjoy a little bit of peanut butter, and as long as it's pure, it's o.k. for me. If I switch to one with added fats, it would become a limited food.

Anyway, on to the weekly menu. As of this afternoon, we are snowed in for a few days and so this morning I stopped at the store to get what we need until Monday. The boys have all made requests of Super Bowl Sunday, so most of what I grabbed was not the healthiest variety. Every thing in moderation, right? They asked for Kansas City chicken wings, Cowboy Caviar, Swiss cheese spread, and I am featuring a Muffaletta because we are rooting for New Orleans. This is a recipe that I have made before (it's great football fare) and I'm cutting back on the fat by using turkey and lean ham instead of high-fat salami and mortadella. If you've never had Muffaletta, it's a yummy treat -- a big round deli sandwich with tangy olive salad inside. It's one of my faves. I'm not sure where my recipe came from, but there's a similar one here.

Saturday
Lunch: Skyline Chili
Dinner: Hot Chicken Salad ( I'm making a lower-fat version of this high-fat treat), Spinach and Chickpea Salad

Sunday
Lunch: Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata, Blueberry Coffee Cake
Dinner: New Orlean's Muffaletta, Kansas City Hot Wings
, Cowboy Caviar and chips, Swiss Cheese Spread and Crackers, Lemon Cheesecake Cheese Ball

Monday
Lunch: leftovers
Dinner: Pork Chop Suey, Spring Rolls

Tuesday
Lunch: Turkey and Spinach Quesadillas
Dinner: Yankee Pot Roast, mashed potatoes, Colonial Brown Bread

Wednesday
Lunch: Bagels and cream cheese
Dinner: Spaghetti and Marinara, salad

Thursday -- Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes
Lunch: Tuna salad
Dinner: Roast chicken, Greek pasta, Butter Brickle cake

Friday
Lunch: Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Dinner: Southwestern Hash and poached eggs, fruit

* Tried and true
* New to me

No comments: