Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Food Geek

.

Not me, though, yes, I guess I am. I am referring to Jeff
Corwin. But I say "geek" with the utmost in affection.

Last night we watched Jeff Corwin Extreme Cuisine -- the second time I've caught it. I'm not usually one to watch an entire television show, but I had
another migraine and decided to camp out on the sofa for the evening. It was just the distraction I needed.

Similar to Anthony Bourdain's show (who I think is a terrific boor -- sorry),
Corwin travels around the world to dine on the local fare. Last night he was in Mexico, talking to locals and digging up the finest Mexican delicacies. Among all the shocking things he ate, he munched on ant caviar (yup, ant eggs), cow tripe (yup, stomach), cow head tacos (yup, eyes, nose, cheek and brain), and a horribly repulsive black corn fungus. It was both fascinating and disgusting. My college boy and I texted back and forth our commentary during the show -- great fun I tell ya.

Unlike
Bourdain, Corwin is light, and fun, and educational, and down-to-earth. It's like watching my youngest brother on television -- except I can't call him on the phone and ask him "have you lost your mind?"! Extreme Cuisine is on Thursdays at 9 p.m. and I think I'm going to write that on my calendar so I don't forget.

.

No comments: