Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Cream of Potato Soup

.
When Peach came down with a bad stomach virus over the weekend, Doug and I had to cancel plans to dine out with friends, which left me with a hole in the weekly menu. I had planned to get pizza for the kids, but I was not in the mood for pizza when dinner time rolled around. So I moved the Teriyaki Burgers to Saturday (yum!), and left a hole in my Wednesday menu.

With two sick kids (two different viruses!) I didn't want to go to the store on Wednesday, so I had to use what was on-hand. I also wanted a comforting meal, with everyone feeling tired or sick. I really wanted to try Annie's Zuppa, but with no sausage or kale in the house, I kept thinking. Cream of potato soup just sounded so good, so I hunted (thank goodness for the internet when you need a recipe) and found this one. I had all the ingredients (except my white wine was a Gewürztraminer and not a good choice for soup, so I omitted it) and it was so yummy it will be a regular go-to soup recipe for me.

The boys loved it (Peach was still not on regular food), and Doug and I both enjoyed it too. All I added was a loaf of soft, chewy bread that Doug picked up on his way home. It was easy, inexpensive and very tasty. The taste was zippier than most cream soups and it was a little bit spicy -- use less cayenne if that's not a good thing for you. The recipe came from allrecipes.com and I followed it exactly except for the wine. The recipe states that it serves 6, but we got four good-sized bowls with very little leftovers, so double it if you need to feed more than four adult-sized people.




Cream of Potato Soup

1 onion, chopped
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
5 T. margarine
4 T. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. whole milk
3 potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 t. mustard powder
1 pinch ground allspice
3/4 t. celery seed
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. seasoning salt
2 T. dry white wine
1/4 t. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 t. chicken bouillon powder

In a large stock pot over medium high heat, cook onion, celery, carrots, garlic and parsley in butter until soft but not browned. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add broth slowly, stirring as you add.

Add milk, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, allspice, celery seed, thyme, seasoning salt, dry white wine, cayenne pepper and chicken granules. Allow to simmer and thicken, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are cooked through, approximately 25 minutes. During cooking, break up potatoes with the back of a spoon.



.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Barbara, I love your blog. I read every entry. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes with us.

Here's something I learned from Julia Child. You can substitute vermouth for any white wine in cooking. Vermouth lasts forever stored in the pantry so you can always have a splash of white wine on hand for cooking.