Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Chocolate Covered Oreo Cake


.


We had quite a chocolate cake weekend a week ago, now that I look back. Chocolate Zucchini Cake on Friday, Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cupcakes Saturday and Oreo Cake on Sunday. I certainly didn't plan it that way -- it just happened.

We went to dinner at my in-laws on Sunday and I asked my father-in-law if he wanted a fruit dessert or chocolate. He picked chocolate. I picked this cake because even though it's chocolate, it's light. I didn't say not fattening, it's light tasting. And it doesn't feel like you ate a lead ball.

The recipe for this cake originally came from Kraft. I make it almost as they published it -- I use a boxed cake and I make the ganache as directed, but I don't use Cool Whip. That's where I draw the line. Actually, I think Cool Whip is o.k. for some things, but I actually would rather eat butter fat from a cow that partially hydrogenated whatever that they make Cool Whip with. So I have made my substitutions below. If you want to use Cool Whip, the recipe is published here.



Chocolate Covered Oreo Cake

1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food chocolate cake mix
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 c. butter
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
12 Oreo Cookies, coarsely crushed


Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour two nine-inch cake pans.

Prepare cake batter and bake as directed on package. Cool cakes in pans 10 min. Invert cakes onto wire racks; gently remove pans. Cool cakes completely.

Microwave chocolate and butter in small microwaveable bowl on high 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 min.

Beat whipping cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Set aside.

Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gently stir in whipped cream and crushed cookies. Stack cake layers on plate, spreading cream cheese mixture between layers. Spread top with chocolate glaze; let stand until firm. Keep refrigerated.



.

No comments: