Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Orange Blueberry Scones



I'm still on a scone kick and I haven't tried all the recipes on my list -- it's the summer of scones I believe. This recipe is wonderful, but decadent. It has considerably more butter in it than the other two recipes I've recently tried. And as soon as you bite into them, you taste it and feel it. They are so tender and flaky. Oh yum! Better save these for special occasions. Originally this recipe was a dried cranberry scone recipe, but my source subbed with blueberries and I did, too. They would likely be good with dried cranberries or even dried cherries, but with blueberries, they were perfect. I halved the recipe and made a couple other minor changes, but the basic scones I kept the same.

I made these first thing in the morning, but you could start the night before and get your dry ingredients measured in a bowl and zest your orange and dice your butter. Then you just have to throw everything into the mixer and bake. If you are not safe with electric appliances first thing in the morning (except to press "brew" on the coffee maker) make these and freeze them in plastic freezer bags. Reheat on a cookie sheet in the oven (350 degrees F) for 10 minutes.



I'm sorry, but even if you click on the pic, you can't taste them!



Orange Blueberry Scones
12 scones


2 c. plus 2 T. all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 t. grated orange zest
12 T. cold unsalted butter, diced
2 eggs
1/2 c. cold heavy cream
3/4 c. blueberries

1/4 c. confectioners’ sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
2 t. freshly squeezed orange juice

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix 2 cups of flour, 2 T. sugar, the baking powder, salt and orange zest. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas. Pour the cream into a measuring cup and add eggs. Whisk with a fork and then, with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour into the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended. The dough will look lumpy! Combine the blueberries and 2 T. of flour, add to the dough, and mix by hand -- very gently.

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead gently it into a ball. Cut dough into two equal size pieces. Flatten, with your hands, into a round about 1 inch high. Repeat with other half. Cut each round into 6 triangles. Place triangles onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, until scones are lightly browned on top. The scones will be firm to the touch.

Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes and then whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and orange juice, and drizzle over the scones.

Source: Smells Like Home

5 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I think I know what I'm going to make for my neighbor's birthday tomorrow. THANKS!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

These are SO good!

Ellen said...

I finally had the opportunity to make these but I substituted lemon for orange. Scrumptious! Thank you. It's much easier than the recipe in the cookbook I have.

I find that I come to your recipe blog for ideas before I go anywhere else, even google. Thank you again and again for some terrific recipes. :D

Barbara said...

Ellen, I'm so glad that you find my blog helpful to your kitchen. If you ever find a need for a recipe that you don't see here, email me. Though I can only post a limited number of recipes here, I have a huge personal collection of tried and true recipes.

Nette said...

+JMJ+
Dear Barbara,
These were so easy and wonderful! This is the first time I have visited your blog (scanning the internet for a good recipe).. and I have now bookmarked it! Can't wait to just sit and look at all the recipes you have.
I am also a Catholic Mom, Married to my husband of 24 years, w/ 4 children. Ages 21 - 10... I also teach my 3 school age children and graduated my 21 year old from home.
Looking forward to your refreshing blog!
Peace,
Lynette