Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cherry Scones

.

I've been trying so many yummy recipes lately, and have had so much success, that I have loads of pictures on my computer, all waiting their turn. Are you tired of seeing new posts here? I hope not, because for at least another couple days I have lots to share.

I realize I've been sharing lots of chicken lately, so this evening I'm sharing baked goods. If you could stop over, I'd brew a pot of decaf and we could share in real life.

But, if you can't stop by for real, then you'll have to make your own.

This recipe is modified from Beth Hensperger's
The Best Quick Breads. I picked it up at the library and had a good time just browsing through it one night in front of the TV. The book is not too glamorous to look through (no pictures) but has a great store of yummy-looking, not-too-complex bread recipes. There's a whole section on scones and soda breads, which is why I picked it from the shelves and shelves of great cookbooks at my library -- I'm in the mood for scones.

If I could wake up to these scones and hot black coffee every morning of my life, I would never complain about anything ever again.

O.k. Maybe not
ever again, but I would be very happy, I tell ya.


They are a basic scone -- light, mildly crumbly, slightly sweet, and with two of my favorite flavors, cherries and chocolate. Heaven.

P.S. That's not my Buckeye mug!




Chocolate Chip Cherry Scones

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. oats
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. cream of tartar
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
5 T. cold butter (place in the freezer for about 10 minutes)
1 egg
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 1/4 t. vanilla
1/2 c. dried tart cherries (halve or quarter with kitchen shears)
1/2 c. milk chocolate chips



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with baking spray.

Place flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt in a medium-large bowl. With a hand grater, grate butter into the flour mixture on the large holes. Stop periodically to remove butter from the back of the grater and toss into the flour. Toss flour and butter with a fork.

Add cherries and chocolate chips. In a 2-cup measuring cup, add egg to buttermilk and break up with a fork. Add vanilla. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir gently until dough holds together. You may find it necessary to add another tablespoon or two of buttermilk, if dough is too dry.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead just a few times until dough holds together. Cut dough in half and form two circles, about 1-inch thick. Place circles on baking sheet and using a knife (bench knife or sharp knife) cut each round into 6 triangular wedges. Push each wedge apart from the others so they don't touch. Sprinkle with table sugar, if desired.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately or cool and freeze in freezer bags.

(To reheat from the freezer, bake for 5 to 8 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.)

.

No comments: