Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Swiss Steak and Bacon Corn

.

Today my oldest son invited a good friend from high school over for dinner. Matthew is one of my favorite kids, and he's been gone to college at the Westminster Choir College in New Jersey for months, so I missed him. And because he appreciates a good meal, I was happy to cook for him. I made Swiss Steak and brown gravy, Mashed potatoes (I cooked five pounds and they ate five pounds), Bacon Corn, and Dinner rolls, with Deep Dish Brownies and ice cream for dessert.

Most people have a favorite style of Swiss Steak and in our house it's with Brown Gravy. My husband grew up eating Tomato Gravy, but I think he prefers my Brown Gravy. Swiss Steak is a homey dish, nothing fancy. But it's comfort food and we all love comfort food. My kids loved tonight's dinner, as did our guest -- every one belonged to the "clean plate club." It's a budget meal, too, because it calls for a cheaper cut of beef, the bottom round steak. It's a tough cut of beef, but it softens up with a couple hours of low temp moist cooking. I cooked six medium-sized steaks (four pounds) for seven people, five of whom were man-sized eaters. This recipe would feed a family of eight to ten with small children.

The corn recipe is one of my children's favorites too. I think corn and bacon go together like butter and bread, or mashed potatoes and gravy. I wouldn't make corn like this every night because of the fat content, but I was cooking for company.





Swiss Steak with Brown Gravy

4 pounds bottom round steak, trimmed of thick fat
seasoning salt*
1/2 cup flour
1 large onion
4 T. light olive oil
3 T. butter
2 cups beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

Peel onion and cut in half lengthwise.
Slice crosswise in ring halves.
Heat oil and butter in a large lidded skillet over medium high heat
and drop onions in (I use my electric skillet for Swiss Steak).
Cook onions for a few minutes until slightly softened.
Meanwhile, season meat with seasoning salt and dredge in flour.
Pound each steak with a meat mallet, breaking it down a little.
Working with a few pieces at a time,
move onions to the sides of the pan and place meat in the oil.
Cook until lightly browned.
Flip and cook on the other side.
Remove browned steaks from the skillet
and cook remaining pieces until lightly browned.
When all pieces are lightly browned,
place all the meat in the skillet,
pushing the pieces together to make room for all pieces.
Pour in one cup of the broth and bring to a simmer.
Reduce heat until broth is just lightly simmering
and then cover.
Cook meat for one and a half to two hours on medium low heat,
turning occasionally and adding beef broth as needed.
Broth will thicken up from flour so stir occasionally as you add broth.
When meat is tender,
remove meat to a platter and whisk gravy until smooth and thickened.
Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Serve with gravy on the side.

* I use Paula Deen's House Seasoning for dishes like this. I just mix up my own.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.



~~~~~~~~~~~


Bacon Corn

4 oz. bacon
2 lbs. frozen corn
1 T. butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat until crisp.
Remove the bacon from the pan and turn off the heat.
Mop up most of the bacon grease with paper towels,
leaving about 2 tablespoons.
Heat the pan again and add the corn.
Cook for 10 to 15 minutes on medium high heat until corn is hot and steamy.
Add butter and crumble bacon into corn.
Stir until butter melts and corn starts to fry.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.


.



6 comments:

Abby said...

What a fabulous, home-style meal. I'm sure everybody dug right in!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I got the bacon and am making this tonight!

(It's sad, really, how excited this pregnant gets over a new recipe.)

Hugs to all, especially lil' Peach as she (hopefully) convalesces.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

PS. Correction: How excited this pregnant woman gets...

Proofread, Margaret! Proofread!

Mike D. said...

I've been craving Swiss Steak for weeks after thinking about the kind I used to eat in a German community outside of Toronto. This fulfilled everything I was looking for...thanks!

AimeeJ said...

The Swiss Steak and Bacon Corn were both excellent! I cut up the Swiss Steak and served it over rice--the kids loved it! I have really enjoyed your website and have tried several recipes from here. I stumbled upon it when looking for the caramel puffcorn recipe--and am very glad that I did! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Barbara said...

I'm glad it was a winner for you, Aimee.