Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Day Pumpkin Bread

.

Anticipating a day and evening of cooking and dishes and loads of clean up (and I was right) for New Year's Eve, I baked a loaf of pumpkin bread the day before to have on New Year's Day morning before Mass. I have been thinking about this bread for about a year since Doug's Aunt Karen brought me a loaf. Unfortunately for me, I lost the secret recipe. Fortunately for you, I came up with a pretty close match all on my own.* The pumpkin bread is a standard moist, mildly spicy loaf. The frosting, however, is a real zinger. The sweet and buttery frosting is spiced up with 2 teaspoons of powdered ginger, and Wow! It is a spicy, sweet combination that I am addicted to. Some people don't like it that spicy, and if you're not fond of spicy stuff, bring the ginger down to 1 teaspoon. I think you'll get the same effect without the zing. Me? I like the zing!




Pumpkin Bread with Spicy Ginger Butter Frosting

2 cups flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. soda
1 t. ginger
½ t. nutmeg
½ t. salt
¼ t. cloves
1 cup pumpkin
⅓ cup buttermilk
1 t. vanilla
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease loaf pan. Mix dry ingredients.
Mix together pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla.
Beat together butter and sugars until creamy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.
Alternately beat in flour mixture and pumpkin mixture at low speed until blended.
Stir in nuts (optional).
Pour batter into pan. Bake for about 60 minutes (toothpick test).
Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Cool completely before frosting.


~~~~~~~~

3 T. butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
2 t. powdered ginger
3 T. evaporated milk

Place melted butter in a medium bowl.
With a whisk or spoon, stir in powdered sugar, vanilla, and ginger.
Add evaporated milk and stir until smooth,
adding more milk if necessary to achieve a stiff, but spreadable, consistency.
Spread over the top of the cooled bread.


* The original recipe has minced crystallized ginger in the recipe -- probably about 1/2 cup. My kids don't like it (it's a texture thing) so I left it out.


.



No comments: