Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Cookies

.
I'm certain that I am not the only one out there whose life has been insane lately. All the preparation in the world never gets me quite ready for the two week before Christmas. I always think that I can avoid the chaos, but usually I'm just delaying the inevitable. It doesn't matter how long I put off decorating the tree or sending out the cards, it's all still there when I awake from my dreamworld.

If only the rest of the world would celebrate Christmas
at Christmas and not for the four weeks before Christmas. I always tell the kids, "do we celebrate your birthday a month before your birthday?" I want this to be preparation time, not celebration time. But the rest of the world disagrees and I get left in the dust.

So while I'm still ordering a few gifts online (yes, there are still a few places who are promising Christmas delivery), and addressing the last few cards (making the last few cards), the rest of the world seems to be in full celebration mode. I'm trying to stay home and not notice.

Today is the kickoff for Christmas baking. In my
Grinchiness, I almost left the baking up to my mom. She bakes at least one batch of cookies every day for the two weeks prior to Christmas. But there are some cookies that I make that my kids really enjoy, and I plan to give away a few cookie trays this years, so I listened to some Christmas music yesterday and gave myself a pep talk (my friend Margaret gave me a pep talk, too).

Below is the list of cookies I plan to bake this year. I am adding to my list this year a chocolate fudge cookie with chopped mint Hershey bars, as well as an oatmeal cookie for
myrecipes.com that I will use dried cherries in. The rest is the same-old-same-old. But you know, that's what they love. I'm also adding Bourbon Fudge balls to the mix this year. Not a cookie, but definitely a treat!

Except for the above-mentioned oatmeal cookies, these recipes are all tried and true.

Chocolate Chip Biscotti with red and green sugar

Icing Thumbprint cookies

Gingersnaps

Frosted Sugar Cookies

Raspberry Shortbread Thumbprints

Pizzelles

Fudge Brownie Cookies with chopped mint Hershey bars added

Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies (I'm going to substitute dried cherries for the pecans)

Bourbon Fudge Balls (this recipe is untried as well, but I've seen it all over the internet, so I'm guessing it's pretty good)


.

No comments: