Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Big Don Sub

.
If you're from Ohio, especially central Ohio, you know Donatos Pizza. I think Donatos has expanded to all corners of the state by now, and even into a few new states. Donatos is well known for its quality pizza in the distinct central Ohio style of what I call "the cracker crust pizza." While Chicago is known for its deep dish style pizza, central Ohio is known for an almost-nonexistent crust. Personally, I can't stand it, but I'm not a native of Columbus. My husband loves it because it's the only pizza he's ever known. And he has strong ties to Donatos
because he was an employee when he was in college -- he made pizzas!

And while I don't make my pizza Donatos style, I do make a hot sub much like the Big Don Sub with pizza sauce. There are several Big Don subs on the Donatos menu, but we like the one with pizza sauce and no sausage. These are a snap to make and are a great dinner item when you're short on time. You can make them at home for a fraction of what Donatos charges, and you can control the calories a little better. I like to use a little salami and a lot of low-fat ham, and loads of lettuce and tomato. You get a substantial sandwich without as much grease.




Big Don with Pizza Sauce
6 subs

6 sub rolls -- I like these, but use what you have regionally and like
1 cup canned or homemade pizza sauce
6 oz. thin-sliced salami
10 oz. low-fat deli ham (I use this)
6 slices provolone
iceberg lettuce, sliced thinly
2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
pickled banana pepper slices

Assemble your ingredients and heat the broiler.
Place sub rolls, cut side down on large cookie sheet.
Place under hot broiler for just a few minutes
until the tops get a little crunchy -- do not burn them.
Take buns out of the oven and turn them over, cut side up.
Put several tablespoons (to taste) on the bottom of the bun, edge to edge.
Place buns back under the broiler for a couple minutes, until the sauce gets hot.
Take buns out of the oven.
Place salami slices, then ham and then cheese on top of pizza sauce.
Put buns back in the oven and cook
until cheese is beginning to bubble and edges of bun are brown.
Don't burn them!
Remove buns from oven and top each stack of meat and cheese with tomatoes,
lettuce and banana pepper slices.
Cut in half diagonally (don't you know the cut affects the taste? :-D ) and enjoy.


.


1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Must be a regional thing, but it sounds good!! Bet my husband would like those.

And the cut DEFINITELY affects the taste. I have to cut my tuna sandwiches "almost" on the diagonal. By that I mean, I cut them diagonally, but not quite corner to corner. I sort of wind up with 2 rhombuses. My grandmother always cut my sandwiches that way, and they just taste better :)