Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cold Chicken Pasta Salad


I had some friends over for lunch this week, and wanted to make something light, but with a little protein to keep her from getting hungry on her trip. My friend was on the road, traveling from one spot to another, and we were one stop on the way. I looked through my recipes and found this one -- one I had not prepared in a while. It's a recipe from my good friend Gina, who is one of those friends I am always begging recipes from, because when we have dinner at her house, everything tastes wonderful.

Anyway, I ate this chicken pasta salad for lunch, and then, instead of making new side dishes for dinner, we ate it again with our sausage kabobs. Then I ate it again for lunch the next day. I could have eaten it a few more times, but it was gone. This is a simple pasta salad, but the flavors are just right. Just the right amount of vinegar and oil, the right amount of veggies, and with the added texture of the chicken. It's not much to look at -- the addition of balsamic vinegar darkens the chicken and the pasta, but it's delicious anyway. This is a great recipe for a picnic because the meat is included. I served with Pickled Beets and Eggs and a frozen fruit salad.




Cold Chicken Pasta Salad
8 chicken breasts
2 pkg. Old Bay Seasoning (I used about 4 T. from the jar)
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped scallions
1 lb. bow tie pasta
(or your favorite shape)
1 cup olive oil
½ cup balsamic vinegar
2 t. salt
½ t. garlic powder

Cook chicken in water with Old Bay Seasoning.
When cooked, remove chicken from water and reserve water.
Cook pasta in chicken broth.
Shred chicken.
Chop vegetables.
Mix olive oil, vinegar, salt and garlic powder.
Pour over vegetables.
Toss with chicken and pasta.
Chill overnight.

No comments: