Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Day One


.
I promise this won't turn into a GERD diet blog, but while we're new to this whole this, I thought I'd blog about it.

Today was a pretty good day. I went grocery shopping this morning and was able to find a good selection of low fat snacks, and since I was at my local discount grocer, they were very reasonably priced. I found some different things than we normally eat and they look promising. I also found a good beverage, something without high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, citrus juice, or carbonation, and
Francis likes it. Since Francis is a teenage boy, snacking is a big part of his diet. I know that some people would just say, "suck it up and do without," but he is a real foodie kid and I can't imagine how sad he would be to be stuck on a mashed potato diet. I know that we can work around these issues and still have some fun with food.

For lunch, I made
Francis and I some wrappers. I broiled a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breast with a little Goya Adobo with pepper on them, sliced them thinly and rolled them up in a warm tortilla with some chopped lettuce, shredded carrots, a little shredded cheddar, alfalfa sprouts and a smidge homemade (from mix) low fat ranch dressing. With a side of sliced strawberries and some low fat chips, he was very happy.

For dinner he and I tried this pizza (except I made my own dough). It was just o.k., but in all fairness to the recipe, I used very little ranch dressing. I used a basting brush to put it on the dough, so I know I used nowhere near a 1/2 cup. It was just a little bland, but would probably be really good with all the ranch and maybe a little drizzle of BBQ sauce. I would also add some red peppers if we weren't dealing with a sensitive stomach. This is not a great picture -- it looked much better in person.

For dessert I made an Apple Streusel Pizza. This is a good, low fat alternative to apple pie and it's very yummy. I'll post the recipe later.

.

No comments: