Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Apple Streusel Pizza



This recipe is a good, low fat alternative to an apple pie. Without the fat of the pie crust, and limited fat in the topping, it still tastes like apple pie, and I think gives you a little more chewing satisfaction than apple pie. I frequently make this recipe when I'm making pizza, because I just make another dough recipe. But, you could make it any time and it's very easy. I cut the fat in the streusel by half when I made it tonight and I truly don't think you could tell the difference. I'm posting the recipe as I made it today. I sprinkled half with coconut, but sliced almonds, or another chopped nut, would be really yummy.

This is not a great picture because I had no natural light, but you get the idea.


Apple Streusel Pizza

1 recipe of pizza dough*
1 T. butter
4 apples, peeled and thinly sliced **
2 T. white sugar
1 T. water
1/3 c. flour
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 T. butter

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
Heat a medium saute pan over med. high heat.
Melt butter in pan and then drop in apple slices.
Sprinkle with sugar and water.
Turn heat down to med. low and cover (keep an eye on them to make sure the liquid doesn't cook up).
Cook until apples are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove cover and turn heat up to reduce the liquid in the pan.
When almost all of the liquid has cooked up, turn off apples.
Punch down dough and spread onto greased pizza pan.
Arrange apples all over pizza dough.
In a bowl, mix flour, cinnamon and brown sugar, and cut in butter until crumbly.
Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until top is bubbly and bottom is golden brown.
Remove from oven, cool slightly and slice.



** I used golden delicious tonight. I like the way they cook down and get soft.
However, you could use any cooking apple.


*Pizza Dough

1 c. warm water
1 T. vegetable oil
2 T. sugar
1 packet yeast (or 2 t.)
2 1/2 to 3 c. flour
1 t. salt


Place water in a bowl and add sugar.
Sprinkle yeast over water.
Add the oil, 2 1/2 c. flour, and salt and mix until smooth.
Knead with dough hook for 3-5 minutes or 7 minutes by hand, adding flour as needed.
Place in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
Let rise for one hour, or until doubled.





No comments: