Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, January 4, 2008

Weekly Menu



Besides cooking for my peanut/tree nut/nickel allergy kid, I will now be cooking for a reflux kid. My Francis was recently diagnosed and today we had an appointment where we talked specifics about diet. I'm thinking that this might be even more challenging that the other issues I've been working around, because even though the nickel-free diet is pretty exclusive, I am still able to make many of the dishes I make normally. Because Francis was just recently diagnosed with reflux, we're dealing with a pretty sensitive esophagus and throat, so I have to be extra cautious. I can't just sneak in one dish that he shouldn't eat, with the thought that it's just a small part of his diet (the way I have with the nickel-free diet). One bad meal could prolong the healing process. The diet that he is currently on (most of the foods that teenagers like) is gone. He will have to be on a low-fat (for the most part), no spicy foods, no tomato dishes, no greasy foods diet. No soda, juice, caffeinated beverages. Generally no fun.

I think my cookbook will be getting a makeover and fortunately the Net has many places to look. Our menus are going to be turned upside down for awhile, and our budget is going to be upside down too, since so many budget cuts of meat are either fatty or rely upon fat and spices to make them taste good.

If you cook for someone with reflux and have scads of recipes to share, you'll be my best friend. And if you know of any good resources, online or not, I'd appreciate some tips.

Here's this week's menu -- we'll see how it goes.

Saturday
Lunch: Skyline Chili for some and deli chicken sandwiches and low fat chips for others
Dinner: Pizza (Pepperoni for some and something like this for others, but made with homemade dough)

Sunday -- Feast of the Epiphany
Lunch: Egg and cheese quesadillas (something like this)
Dinner: Chop Suey and King Cake (strange combination, but whatever)

Monday
Lunch: Birds Nests
Dinner -- Buckeyes vs. LSU game:
White Bean Dip and veggie chips (Everyday Food -- Jan./Feb. 2008)
Dough pretzels and mustard
Baked Zucchini Chips
Baked "Fried" Chicken

Tuesday
Lunch: Chili con queso and chips
Dinner: Shepherd Pie

Wednesday
Lunch: California Roll Up
Dinner: Chicken and Noodles

Thursday
Lunch: Omelets
Dinner: Ham and Bean Soup, Cornbread

Friday
Lunch: Tomato soup and grilled cheese
Dinner: Linguine and Clam Sauce, bread, salad

* Tried and True
* New to me
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Stengel Crew said...

Hello, I am honduran and just moved the US. I have been looking at your blog and you always have good recipies (the ones I've tried are great). We just got some lamb meet and I have no idea what to do with it. Do you have any idea of a a good recipie with lamb?
Marcela

Barbara said...

Dear Marcela,
Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you've enjoyed my recipes. My family does not eat a lot of lamb. The only lamb I've ever prepared is a leg of lamb. I cut tiny slits in the meat and place garlic cloves inside, then salt and pepper it and roast it.

However, I would highly recommend that you try allrecipes.com. You can search for recipes by doing an ingredient search with lamb as the ingredient. The recipes are rated, so you will know if you've found a good one.

I did a little search and found this page for starters:
http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx?WithTerm=&SearchIn=All&Wanted1=lamb&SortBy=Rating&Direction=Descending

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great!