Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rice Krispies never tasted so good



This is not another one of those breakfast casseroles. I know, the name sounds tired, but this casserole is super tasty, and makes even a great easy supper. I make it quite a bit, both for brunch after Mass (set the oven on Timed Bake and come home to a hot yummy brunch), and for dinner.

I know I said the Rice Krispies never tasted so good, but those were actually just a substitute for cornflakes when I made it one evening recently and discovered I didn't have Corn Flakes. Rice Krispies worked just as well. And the recipe says refrigerate overnight, but you can throw it together ten minutes before it goes in the oven. I think making it the night before is just convenient when you want to eat it for breakfast, but don't operate well in the morning.







Ham and Swiss Breakfast Casserole

10 slices of bread (I have used leftover hamburger or hot dog buns just to use them up)
1 # deli ham, diced
8 oz, swiss cheese, sliced or shredded
6 eggs
3 c. milk
1/2 t. garlic salt
pepper, to taste
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
4 T. butter, melted
1 c. cornflake crumbs (I did not crush the krispies)

Grease 13 x 9 pan. Lay bread slices on pan bottom (I almost never use 10 slices -- I think I max out at 8 overlapping them. Just make sure the bottom of the dish is well covered with bread).
Place diced ham on bread, making sure bread is covered. Cover ham with cheese, either slices or shredded. 
In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly (until whites and yolks are combined) with milk. Add seasoning to eggs. 
Pour egg over cheese. Top with cheddar cheese.
Mix melted butter and cornflake crumbs and sprinkle over the top of the cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour (or until center of casserole puffs up as high, or higher, than sides).

Serve with some fresh fruit, or fruit and yogurt for a nice brunch, or with a salad for dinner.





Source: my mom




2 comments:

Linda said...

Oooooo...I will be making this when my Iowa family comes to stay for 10 days in July. Many thanks to you AND to your mom! :)

Sarah said...

Looks fabulous! I will be making this soon!