Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Buttermilk Waffles



Pin It


Since we were married (26 years ago), I have owned two waffle makers, both Belgian style. Unless they are for dessert, I dislike Belgian waffles -- too high of a middle to edge ratio. I like a nice crisp waffle and when my Belgian waffle died a few months ago I looked for a waffle iron that produced a flat waffle, but could not find one I was willing to splurge on. A couple weeks ago I finally found one -- this variety (which I got for quite a bit less at Amazon). We have enjoyed waffles most every Sunday morning since it arrived, and my children are delighted.

I use the Buttermilk Waffle recipe found in my King Arthur Flour cookbook and it is really just perfect, crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, slightly tangy and buttery. Yum. Many waffle recipes have you beat the whites separate from the yolks, but this one does not, which makes it nice and easy for breakfast. You can have it whipped up and have steamy waffles baking in your iron in no time.





Buttermilk Waffles

2 large eggs
1 3/4 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 t. vanilla
2 c. unbleached pastry flour OR 1 3/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour (I use all-purpose)
2 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
1 t. salt
1/2 c. pecan meal (optional -- I do not use for allergy reasons)


In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter or margarine and vanilla. In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Combine the wet and dry ingredients just until almost smooth.

Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray before preheating it. For an 8-inch round waffle iron, use about 1/3 cup batter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the iron stops steaming. Yield: about ten 8-inch waffles.

Source: King Arthur flour cookbook

1 comment:

Abby said...

My mom makes waffles (and sausage) for supper all the time. One of our favorite meals! And she makes this kind, but I like Belgian ones because I love the crispness!