Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pinning it down {3}...reuse, repurpose, recycle

It's no wonder I am on my third installment of Pinning It Down here on my food blog. I admit I enjoy Pinterest, but I am still trying not to get too cozy with beautiful homes and elaborate projects (trying to keep that dastardly covetous demon off my shoulder). Food, however, I can do without getting carried away. So I'm pinning away good things to eat and clever kitchen tips.





This is so simple and so genius (whoever thought it up is most worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize -- dontcha think?). I don't think I'll ever throw away another whole plastic soda or water bottle. Just cut the bottom third or so off (mostly below the curve at the top) and stuff an open bag up through the mouth (it helps to twist it a little), fold the bag down and put the cap bag on. The bag doesn't come untwisted, so the contents stay fresh. Love it! You could do this with any thin-ish kind of bag -- crackers, chips, cookies, even bread, and possible milk bottles as well as long as you give 'em a good scrub first.

My college son (environmental policy and management major) is becoming so proud of my reuse- repurpose-recycling. What he doesn't know is I'm just cheap!

Note: I deleted the original pin because I could not locate the source.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Ingenious! And so PC!! :)

Capability said...

Love this idea!

Pam Barnhill said...

That is so smart! Love it.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

It's a fabulous idea--but your illustration? When does anyone ever have an UNFINISHED bag of chocolate chips? ;)

Abby said...

I pinned this idea, too! But I'm wondering if the bottom of the bottle is still recyclable when the neck is cut off (at least around here).

Laurie said...

I can't wait to try this. Good for you for putting a great idea to work!