Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Supper #6

.



This is the kind of dish I would order from any restaurant menu. I love summer vegetables, and if you pair them with bacon for flavor and pasta for a little filler, they make a great summer supper dish. I saw this recipe at MyRecipes.com, but switched it up a little in terms of pasta shape and variety of summer vegetable. You could really use a multitude of vegetables for this recipes -- whatever is growing in the garden, available at the farm market, or just needs to be used from the veggie drawer of the fridge.

All the kids enjoyed this dish (much to my surprise) and I can't wait to try it again. I modified the recipe to my taste, but feel free to substitute the veggies for what's available to you. I could not find cavatappi at my store, so I used Roman Rigatoni ( a curved variety of rigatoni) but would look for cavatappi in the future -- I love that shape.


Pasta with Bacon and Summer Vegetables
serves 4-6


1 lb. uncooked cavatappi 
8 slices bacon, chopped 
2 T.  olive oil 
1 cup chopped red or green onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices 
3/4 cup yellow pepper, sliced thin and cut in bite-size sticks
1 cup edamame
1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, ends trimmed and strings removed
1 1/2 cups quartered grape tomatoes
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese (or up to 1 cup, to taste)
1/4 cup small fresh basil leaves 
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.



While pasta cooks, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in pan; add oil to drippings. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini and peppers; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in edamame, tomatoes, and sugar snaps; cook 5 minutes or until tomatoes soften, stirring occasionally. 

Add hot pasta to vegetable mixture; toss. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup cheese, basil, salt, and pepper; toss to combine. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Source: modified from myrecipes.com

Serving suggestion: Serve with some crusty bread and a bowl of fresh fruit salad, or served with some grilled chicken breast for a heartier meal.

.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Your recipes lately seem to have perfect timing - I've been looking for ways to cut the ever growing grocery bill and use what I have more efficiently. I just purchased some basil plants on clearance at the farmers market as well as summer vegetables, purchased shredded parm instead of grated by mistake, and have been staring at a bag of edamame in my freezer for some time now.

I have to tell you that I've really been turning to this wonderful site you've created more and more often for real food ideas for family meals. I truly appreciate your sharing of recipes and stories. Thank you!

April said...

This looks yummy! I'm going to try this weekend, thanks :)
I enjoy following your blog and appreciate all the recipes and especially the photos you post!

Linda said...

Barbara, your "Summer Suppers" series is simply brilliant! I look forward to them so much, and I've used several of the recipes several times already!

Before you began this series, I looked forward to every weekend when you post meals for the week on your other blog. Inspiration always descends like an angel! Now, the suppers are doing the same thing for me. Thank you, thank you!
Love, Linda

Mike D. said...

I make a lot of pasta, but I'm sick of my own methods and recipes. This got me out of that rut; thanks and thanks. :)