Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mushroom Barley Pilaf

.



I am always looking for new side dishes, something besides potatoes. We seem to eat a lot of potatoes around here, and it gets old, at least for me. I love grains -- can't think of one I don't love, so I try to find new things to do with them. The night that I made the Maple and Soy Glazed Steak (below) I made this Mushroom Barley Pilaf. It was wonderful -- beefy favor with the enhancement of baby portabella mushrooms, Mmmm. The kids were just o.k. with it, but they are not the grain lovers that I am (they'd rather have potatoes!), but my husband loved it as much as I did.



Mushroom Barley Pilaf

1  (14 1/4-ounce) can low-salt beef broth
1 T. Worcestershire sauce 
1/4 t. salt 
1/4 t. pepper 
1  cup  uncooked quick-cooking barley
1  (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms 
3/4  cup  chopped onion
1/2  cup  finely chopped celery (about 1 rib)
    Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
    Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms, onion, and celery; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Stir into cooked barley.



    .

    2 comments:

    Jamie Jo said...

    I have a recipe almost exactly like this, only it has bacon in it and soy sauce.

    Yummy.

    Natalie said...

    this sounds like such a great dish! love mushrooms!!