Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Maple and Soy Glazed Steak

.


All the members of my family are big beef eaters, except me. I'm not much of a meat eater at all, so I have to remember to put beef on the menu once in a while to keep my people happy. They were really happy with this dish, and I enjoyed it as well. The flavors of this dish appeal to three of the tastes our tongues perceive -- sweet, salty, and umami (if you haven't heard of this one, it's because it is more recently known to Westerners, and comes from "meaty" flavors). The combination of all of those flavors made a really yummy dish. I started with a skirt steak, instead of flank -- a cut I had never tried before. It was better, in my opinion, than flank steak -- less connective tissue and more tender. I will definitely keep an eye out for this cut in the future. It was not expensive either. The recipe, which came from Cooking Light, is easy peasy, so no excuses.

The key to keeping the meat really tender is to not cook it past medium -- it will continue cooking a bit after you take it from the heat, but if you get it too done, you'll have shoe leather instead of steak. My husband cooked ours on the outdoor grill, so I can't say if the time under the broiler is accurate. I used the same time for the grill.

Note: The sriracha sauce you should be able to find in the Asian or Indian food section at the grocer. My oldest son turned us on to it a few months ago as a sort of Asian Tabasco -- my kids love it. It's very garlicky, but not too spicy.



Maple and Soy Glazed Steak


1  (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed (I used an almost 2-pound piece of skirt steak with the same amount of glaze)
3 T.   lower-sodium soy sauce 
3  T. maple syrup
2  T.  sake (rice wine) or dry sherry
2  t.  dark sesame oil
1 t.  Sriracha (hot chile sauce)
1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper

Preheat broiler (or grill).

Pierce steak gently on both sides. Combine steak and next 6 ingredients (through pepper) in a shallow dish; turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature 20 minutes, turning occasionally.

Remove steak from marinade, reserving marinade. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Pour marinade into a small skillet; bring to a boil, stirring well. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until thick and syrupy.

 Brush steak with half of glaze; broil 5 minutes. Turn steak over, and brush with remaining glaze; broil 5 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.



.

1 comment:

Merut said...

This looks AMAZING! My fiance has a "beef ban" in our house, so anytime I find a fantastic looking steak like this one, I end up going into a private fantasy land. I love the sound of maple and soy - an interesting combination.