Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Warmer Kartoffelsalat-- aka German Potato Salad

.


I've been making this recipe for German Potato Salad for a couple years now and I thought it was about time to share. I think I had been married for at least 20 years before I ever tried to make German Potato Salad, even though my husband had been telling me -- for 20 years -- that he loves it. I guess I thought it was a tough dish to make, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Such a simple recipe, and unlike cold potato salad, can be made kind of at the last minute -- a plus for those cooks who tend to forget to plan ahead.
The flavors in German Potato Salad are very, um, German (duh!). Snappy with vinegar and onion, and  flavorful from the bacon, to me it is the ultimate comfort food Yum. I make it extra saucy, so you may want reserve some of your sauce, stir in your potatoes and taste to see if you want all the dressing on yours.


German Potato Salad
serves 6


5 to 6 medium red potatoes, cut in a large dice
6 slices bacon, cut crosswise into bite-size strips
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup plus 2 T. white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 T. chopped fresh parsley (or 1 t. dried)

Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside.

 Place the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, stirring often. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside. 

Add onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring, then add the potatoes and parsley. Crumble in half of the bacon. Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm.

.

No comments: