Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders

.


I planned these little hot sandwiches for a day last week, and as it turned out I was really glad for an easy dinner. I was away from home most of the afternoon and when I got home I really wasn't in the mood to cook dinner. Fortunately I didn't have to. I started these little gems just about 30 minutes before dinner time, and I was glad to have some time between walking in the door and prep time to catch my breath (and grade some school work!).

They were so popular, that I have a feeling they will be welcome as a regular on our menu. The kids all wanted to know what the sauce was on top, but I just told them it was "magic" sauce. I didn't want to listen to gripes about onions and mustard and since they all loved them, it was a good decision. What they don't know won't hurt them!

The sauce was not exactly low in fat, which was the only drawback to these sandwiches. But I used Hillshire Farm honey ham, which is very low in fat, and I only used a quarter slice of cheese for each, so I'm not stressing over the little bit of sauce each sandwich gets. (I'm sure these sandwiches would be even tastier with some really awesome ham, but it was a weekday and I was going for easy over awesome.)

I saw this recipe most recently at Annie's Eats, but you can find it all over the internet and in every "favorites" cookbook. I used the Hawaiian rolls as recommended, and they were very yummy, but I'm sure some good bakery slider buns would be awesome as well. You can find the little sliders at almost every grocery store these days.

Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders
24 sandwiches


24 slider rolls or small Hawaiian rolls
24 slices honey ham
24 small slices Swiss cheese (I used a quarter slice because it fit perfectly)
mayonnaise
1½ T. yellow mustard
8 T. butter, melted
1 T. finely minced onion (or 2 tsp. dried minced onion)
½ t. Worcestershire sauce
Poppy seeds, for sprinkling


Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.

Split the slider rolls and spread the insides lightly with mayonnaise. Fold a slice of ham to fit on each slider bun, and top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Replace the top bun to assemble the sandwiches. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet (cover with foil or parchment for ease in clean-up).

To make the sauce, combine all ingredients except the poppy seeds in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Drizzle the sauce over the tops of the slider buns. Sprinkle with poppy seeds (be sure to have a "helper" for this step -- it's good fun). Cover with foil and bake 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Remove the foil and bake 2 minutes longer (I baked about 5 minutes longer until the cheese was bubbly). Serve warm.

Recommended dishes to serve with the Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders: Apple slices with Cream Cheese Apple Dip, Cabbage Slaw, and Veggie Chips

Printer version without picture

Printer version with picture


.

6 comments:

Abby said...

Party rolls! At least that's what we've always called them. They are absolutely ADDICTIVE. I used to love picking off the poppy seeds when I was a kid!

Barbara said...

Abby,
They are addictive. I did not make all 24. I think I made 18 and it's a good thing, because we ate every one!

Shaun said...

TOTALLY making this with the apple dip for after church lunch tomorrow.Your comment on my vlog made my day, like being visited by blog royalty! tee hee!

Shaun said...

Made these tonight, BIG hit with DH. I can't believe something so simple was so good. I made 12 and halved the sauce. I also subbed out caraway seeds because I didn't have poppy seeds. Very delicious, thank you! We had the apple dip with this, also simple and divine! I tried to make it with a hand mixer and regular cream cheese (cold). Big mistake. Chunks and brown sugar blobs blew everywhere. I let the cream cheese sit and then tried again once it was softened with my emersion blender - success! I don't have a kitchen aide so I had to make do! Oh well, kitchen floor needed a clean up anyways... :)

Serendipity Stitcher said...

Made these for my family for lunch today. Husband ate 4 of them!!! Thank you!!

Barbara said...

Don't you love it when that happens? So glad you had a success!