Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chocolate Sorrow Cake



.
.


Yesterday we remembered Our Blessed Mother on her feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. It has become a tradition to make a heart-shaped cake with seven "swords" depicting the seven sorrows that pierced the heart of Our Lord's mother. In the past I have used pretzel sticks for swords. This year I cut swords from craft sticks (aka Popsicle sticks, um, unused). The cake is easy to put together by making one round cake and one square (this method). I frosted it with vanilla buttercream frosting, ignoring my husband's pleas for chocolate frosting because, I argued, Our Blessed Mother's heart was pure white -- besides the cake was chocolate. The cake was a Chocolate Sour Cream cake. It's a moist and spongy cake with rich chocolate flavor. I used low-fat sour cream, so the end result is not a high-fat cake, though you definitely get a rich flavor and moist texture. The recipe for the cake came from the Pillsbury Complete Cookbook.


Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
serves 12 printer version

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1 cup water
3/4 c. sour cream (I use low-fat)
1/4 c. shortening
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans and line bottom with wax paper (or for the Our Lady of Sorrows cake a round and a square).

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and baking powder; mix well.

In a large bowl, combine water, sour cream, shortening, vanilla, eggs and chocolate; blend well. Add dry ingredients; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Pour batter into greased, floured and lined pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans.

Cool completely before frosting.




Source: Pillsbury Complete Cookbook
.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I've been spending all morning printing out your Autumn recipes and stumbled upon this one. I'm so happy I did! I'll be doing this with the kids today. I love the idea of the "swords" in the heart representing her 7 sorrows. I actually have some of those cocktail swords, too!

Blessings!