Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Loosemeat Sandwiches



.

Every mom needs a few good budget-minded, simple dishes that she can whip up in a snap. For me, this sandwich is one of those. When I buy my meat (lately on a monthly basis), I always buy an extra 3-plus-pound package of ground meat and divide it up into 1-plus-pound portions. I can make some quick burgers for lunch, some taco meat for Walking Tacos, or Loosemeat Sandwiches. If your kids like simple flavors (and no vegetables spoiling their meat) this sammie is for you. It's just meat and seasoning -- the raw onion is completely optional. And it's so quick and easy, it often is a substitute dish for whatever was on my menu that just didn't happen.

The recipe came from Rachel Ray, but it is apparently a regional dish from Iowa, and Maid-Rite claims theirs as number one. I have never been to Iowa so I can't say whether our Loosemeat is true Loosemeat, but it tastes good by my standards. I eat mine with chopped raw onion, as does my husband and one of the kids. Two of the kids top their sandwiches with BBQ sauce, which is probably a major Loosemeat faux pas, but I cannot account for the tastes of my offspring. ;-)


Loosemeat Sandwiches
serves 6

printer version

1 T. vegetable oil
1¼ lb. ground chuck
1 cup chicken stock (or bouillon cube dissolved in water)
1 t. sweet paprika
1 t. Worchestershire sauce
salt and pepper
6 hamburger buns
½ yellow onion, chopped finely

Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and meat. Brown meat, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Add chicken stock. Season with paprika, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. When the liquid comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Cook 15 minutes. Pile meat on buns and top with chopped onions.

Serve with tater tots or oven fries, and a Wedge Salad or Cabbage Slaw. Add a chocolate malt for a real diner treat.

Source: Rachel Ray

.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I love those Maid-rite sandwiches---at least the ones I make with grassfed ground beef. My daughter thinks they're pretty gross, though. Just meat on a sandwich?

Kathy said...

We had a few Maid Rite locations here in MN too. They have many versions of their loosemeat sandwiches. Your kid's fav is probably on their menu. And so is topping the sandwich with a slice of cheese and running it under the broiler or into the microwave to melt the cheese into the meat.