Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lemon Bars







This recipe is one of my all-time favorite dessert recipes, and my oldest son was home this past week between college apartments and anything lemony is his favorite as well. My mother-in-law brought me a bottle of Italian Volcano Lemon Juice I wanted to try, so I decided to make a batch of these sweet and tangy, soft and flaky treats. I have had this recipe for going on 25 years, and it never fails. I think I got it from a caterer I used to use in my "professional life" -- she used to put them in her boxed lunches and they were such a treat! The crust is buttery, sweet and flaky, and the filling is soft and tangy -- such a great combination.

(By the way -- the lemon juice is fabulous. I don't usually use bottle juice, preferring the taste of fresh lemons, but this juice is so good I may never juice another lemon! My mother-in-law bought it at Costo, but our local Kroger has it as well.)

Lemon Bars
makes 24

printer version


1 cup butter, or margarine
½ cup powdered sugar
4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
⅓ cup lemon juice
½ t. lemon extract
¼ cup flour
½ t. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix 2 cups flour, butter and powdered sugar and spread into 13 x 9 pan.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

While crust is baking, mix eggs, sugar, lemon juice, extract, 1/4 c. flour and baking powder. When crust time is up, remove from oven and carefully pour the filling over the hot crust. Place back in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool completely. Cut and dust tops with extra powdered sugar, if desired.

.

4 comments:

Abby said...

I've been wanting to make lemon bars for awhile now. And if this recipe has been a favorite for that long it's definitely the one I'm going to try!

Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen said...

Truely a blast from the past that never goes bad! My mouth is puckering thinking of that kick of lemon!

Lavern said...

thanks for sharing your recipe.maybe ill try this when i get home and let my kids to try this.

Anne said...

Yum! I just made Nancy's Sweet Muffins. Those are delicious! I can't wait until the kids get up from their naps to see what they think. And they are super easy too. As easy as corn bread! Thanks for another great recipe!