Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Jamie's Chili



Last week I made a huge pot of chili. I made it to serve over baked potatoes for dinner, but this recipe makes such a huge pot of chili, that now I have two more meals in the freezer. Yeh! I had to leave the house for softball practice before it was done, so I didn't get pics of the meal, but I got a shot of the pot simmering away.

I don't think you can really have too many recipes for chili. Sometimes I make my Mom's chili, or Skyline chili, or even White Chicken Chili, but chili is like soup and you can never get tired of it (at least I can't). This recipe is good because it is really loaded with beans. That's a good thing for me. It also has lots of veggies, so the meat to veggie ratio is higher on the veggie side. That makes it lower in fat and healthier, in my opinion (also easy on the budget for the same reasons). It's Jamie Deen's recipe and I make it almost like the recipe instructs. I use all beef instead of beef and sausage, and I cut back to one cup of celery because "my people" have issues with celery.


PS Serving the chili over baked potatoes or spaghetti stretches it even farther. We've also been known to serve it over a bowl of Fritos, but that's not nearly as healthy or budget-friendly.


Jamie's Chili

printer version

1 lb. ground beef

1 medium onion, diced

1 green bell pepper diced

1 cup chopped celery

2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes

1 (28-ounce) can whole, peeled tomatoes

Ground cumin (I use about 1 t.)

Chili powder (I use about 2 T.)

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 package chili seasoning mix (I use McCormick's medium hot)


Shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped green onions, for garnish



In a dutch oven, brown ground beef, drain and set aside.

To the dutch oven, add the onion, green pepper, and celery and saute briefly. Stir in the diced and whole tomatoes (I break these up as I add them). Add cumin and chili powder, to taste, and cook for about 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the beans, browned meat, and chili seasoning. Partially cover, and let simmer for 4 hours.


Serve with Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions.



No comments: