Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Berry Berry Pie



.


On Sunday, we were invited to go for pizza with Doug's parents, and I offered to bring dessert to enjoy at the house afterward. Doug and his family are big fruit pie fans, so I planned to bring a Strawberry Rhubarb, my husband's personal favorite. I couldn't find rhubarb anywhere, however, so I settled with Strawberry Blueberry, which was a huge hit. My favorite is Blueberry Pie (or maybe it's Cherry, I just can't decide), but I really liked the little bit of tartness from the strawberries. I thought I'd write it down, so I don't forget the combination. The recipe is the standard fruit pie recipe in the Joy of Cooking, found here. You can see from the picture that my pie was very juicy, but the juices thickened perfectly and it cut in perfect slices. Top with vanilla ice cream!

Strawberry Blueberry Pie

Printer version

3 cups blueberries (I used frozen)
2 cups diced fresh strawberries
3/4 c. sugar
4 T. quick-cooking tapioca
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/8 t. salt
3 T. unsalted butter, cut into small bits
double pie crust I use the one here; doubled and the second one cut into strips for lattice in this pie)

Prepare pie pan with bottom crust.

Mix the berries, sugar, thickener, lemon juice and salt (do this gently with your hands to prevent breaking the berries) and let stand for 15 minutes.

Dot the butter over the filling, then cover with a lattice for the top (here's a great tutorial if you've never done it before). Brush with cream, or milk, and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.

Bake the pie at 425 degrees F in the lower third of the oven for 30 minutes. Place a baking sheet under pie and lower oven temp to 350 degrees. Bake until thick juices bubble, about 30 minutes longer.

.

No comments: