Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Chicken Asparagus a la King

.



I had never prepared Chicken a la King for my family before I tried this recipe. I had eaten it once or twice, but was never too impressed. I think this recipe had me at asparagus -- I'm a sucker for this vegetable every time, and paired with chicken and roasted red peppers in a cream sauce -- Yum! Even with a low-fat, low-cholesterol version, I had high hopes. This recipe didn't let me down. This is really comfort food at its best -- tasty, creamy, yet low-fat. The recipe comes from the Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook by the American Heart Association and I really only modified it for quantity.

Chicken Asparagus a la King
6-8 servings


2 10.5 oz. fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 large bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and slice on the diagonal in bite-size pieces
½ t. dried tarragon or thyme, crumbled
½ t. salt
¼ t. pepper
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
1½ cups fat-free or low-fat evaporated milk
2 med. red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, rinsed and chopped*
4 c. chopped cooked chicken or turkey breast, skin and fat discarded

In a large saucepan, stir together the broth, asparagus, tarragon (or thyme -- I used tarragon), salt and pepper. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour and the milk. Stir into the asparagus mixture. Cook for 10 minutes, or until thickened, and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Stir in roasted peppers and chicken. Heat through.

Serve over brown rice, whole wheat noodles, couscous or biscuits.

* I roast my peppers over the gas burner, but here's a video for an easy oven method.


Printer version



Source: modified from Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook

.

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I want to try this! There'll be plenty of leftover turkey after Easter...this will be a perfect reinvention for it.