Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chocolate, Pretzel, Peanut Butter Thingies

.

I'm in the mood for something sweet, how 'bout you?

College boy was home last weekend and I was trying to think of something sweet that I could send back with him. Since I had sent those Nieman Marcus Chocolate Chippers the week before, I was thinking that these Chocolate, Pretzel, Peanut Butter Thingies would be nice. What do you think of that name? I saw them at Stephanie's Kitchen, and she calls then Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites, which is no better than Thingies, if you ask me. So, Thingies they are.

There is one major difference between Stephanie's Bites and my Thingies -- peanut butter. Because of my son's allergies, I don't ever cook with it. So I subbed Sunflower Butter with perfect results. I've talked about Sunflower Butter before -- I get it at Trader Joe's and it's made just for people with nut allergies, so there's none of that "made in a facility with peanuts and tree nuts." It's perfectly safe.

About the recipe -- I thought the sunbutter part of the little Thingie was very sweet -- too sweet, so I would cut down on the sugar next time. If you're willing to keep them in the refrigerator, which I did, I think they would be great with some natural peanut butter, with no sugar at all. As long as you refrigerate the natural peanut butter, it stays hard. I am posting the recipe just as I found it, however, and you can adjust as you like. There's no science involved here -- just wing it.



Chocolate, Pretzel, Peanut Butter Thingies
makes about 45 sandwiches

1 c. peanut butter
2 T. softened butter or margarine
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
waffle-shaped pretzels
1 bag good quality chocolate (I used Hershey's milk chips)

Using a mixer, combine peanut butter and softened butter and beat until smooth. Add the sugars and stir to combine. At this point if the filling will roll easily into balls without sticking to your hands you’re ready to go (I did not roll these into balls -- I just plopped a scoop onto each pretzel -- I guess they would be prettier if I had, but what the heck). If not, add more sugar until you reach a consistency that is easy to roll. Use a teaspoon measure to scoop the filling. Roll each portion into a small ball and set on a cookie sheet. Roll all the balls and then sandwich them between two whole pretzels. When all the balls are rolled and successfully sandwiched, stick the whole tray in the freezer for about half an hour (I skipped the freezing step, too. I was in a hurry -- no harm, no foul.).

Pour the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and heat at 30-second intervals, stirring occasionally until completely melted. Remove the pretzel sandwiches from the freezer and quickly dip each half-way into the melted chocolate. When all are dipped, return the tray to the freezer to set up completely. Store the sandwiches in the refrigerator until serving time.


Easy print version


Source: Stephanie's Kitchen





.

2 comments:

Rettabug said...

Hi Barbara,

This picture looks good & reminds me of another snack using those square pretzels.

You just unwrap the entire bag (13 oz.) of Rollo candies (caramel & chocolate) & place one candy on a sq. pretzel, filling up a cookie sheet.
Bake in 4 min.(or less) in a 250° oven, just until the candy begins to melt.
Remove them from the oven & squish either a 1/2 pecan or in your family's case, another sq. pretzel on top of the melting candy. Allow to cool 15 min. then place in refrigerator to fully set up. Store in a sealed container.

Thanks for jogging my memory to make some!

Barbara said...

Rett, Thanks for that "recipe." The kids will love it!