Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Summertime Supper Homerun No. 2 -- Buttermilk Brined Chicken Legs

.

I mentioned before that I love having a summertime supper line-up which I can use to make my menu. It's especially helpful when I check my grocery store flier (do you know many stores have their fliers online?) to see what's on sale. I just choose from my lineup to match the sale meat. Last week I tried a new recipe -- another buttermilk brined meat. This meal got a six thumbs up at the dinner table, and we especially enjoyed the new chicken recipe. It would be great cooked ahead of time and cooled to room temperature, or even chilled and eaten much later (think picnic or summer potluck). The chicken had so much flavor, and though it looks like it was overcooked, the color was just on the skin. Every piece was eaten -- no leftovers that night.

I served with it my Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Scallions, and a Creamy Spicy Kohlrabi Slaw -- recipe to come.



Buttermilk Brined Chicken Drumsticks

1 quart buttermilk
1/2 c. chopped shallots
5 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1 1/2 T. kosher salt
2 T. sugar
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. pepper
10 to 12 chicken drumsticks

In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin, and pepper.

Rinse chicken and pat dry. Submerge chicken pieces in buttermilk brine. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours, or up to 1 day.

Lift chicken from brine; discard brine.

Lay chicken pieces on a barbecue grill over medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill; close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning frequently, until browned on both sides and no longer pink at the bone, about 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Source: modified from Sunset


No comments: