Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Creamy Potato Bake

Link.

I have some food pictures in my photo files, so I'm going to try to post some of these recipes, since I bothered to take pics.

This recipe is one my mom makes. I know that she has made this for much of my adult life, though I don't remember it from my childhood. It goes well with roasts and grilled meat, as well as simple baked chicken breasts. It doesn't really need gravy, like plain mashed potatoes, although my kids enjoy drowning it in BBQ sauce when I make this or this. I usually use my Kitchen Aid with the whip attachment for these, as opposed to just mashing them with the potato masher. If you prefer a more rustic mash, however, just really soften your cream cheese before adding it.


This is before baking. You can see I used red onion, but red, yellow, or even green onion is fine.



Creamy Potato Bake

2½ lb. potatoes (I prefer Idaho)
1/2 cup hot milk
2 T. melted butter
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup chopped onion
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 egg
3 T. butter


Boil potatoes until fork tender.
Drain and return to pan or mixing bowl.
Mash or whip potatoes with milk and butter.
Season with salt and pepper.
Taste to adjust seasoning if necessary.
Add cream cheese and egg and whip until thoroughly combined.
Add onion and incorporate.
Pour potatoes into a greased casserole dish and dot with 4 T. butter.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.


.

No comments: