Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cornmeal Crusted Catfish Nuggets

.






When I started making dinner last Friday, I realized I was not using the recipe that I had linked to the way it was written. I guess I can't fairly say it's a great recipe if I alter it. So, I jotted down my changes and here it is. Not a great picture, but the vultures were circling. In case you've never eaten catfish, I'll tell you it's good stuff. Not fishy -- very delicate and tender. Yummy. I buy fresh USA farm-raised whenever I can. The other stuff mostly comes from China and I just don't trust their farming practices all that much.



Cornmeal Crusted Catfish Nuggets


1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 T. paprika
1 t. seasoning salt (I use Lawry's for this recipe)
1/2 t. pepper
2 pounds catfish
4 T. vegetable oil

Combine cornmeal, flour and seasonings in a shallow bowl.
Rinse catfish fillets with cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
Cut catfish into bite-size nuggets -- about the size of a chicken nugget.
(I think I get about 6 nuggets from each medium-sized fillet.)
Heat oil in a heavy skillet.
A few at a time, dredge catfish nuggets in cornmeal mixture.
Cook catfish nuggets, in batches, over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until golden,
gently turning to brown each side.
Add more oil if pan gets dry.
Don't cook too many at a time, or they'll steam instead of fry.
Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.


Tartar Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 T. pickle relish
2 T. minced onion
a big squeeze from half a fresh lemon

Stir to combine.
Chill until ready use.



.

No comments: