Merciful God, You are great in compassion and Your tenderness for us is without measure. We ask You to give us today our daily bread, and also provide for the needs of all of Your hungry children around the world. Through Christ Your Son and Our Lord. Amen.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Supreme Chocolate Cheesecake

.
I promised you a story about this chocolate cheesecake which I made last week for my Joshua's 17th birthday. He asked for a chocolate cheesecake, and this recipe is really a very decadent, but easy cheesecake. It doesn't take long to put together, and, under normal circumstances, is a very pretty, celebration dessert.

I did well on Thursday, starting my cheesecake in the morning, so it would have all day to chill before I frosted it. Unlike most cheesecakes, this one has a frosting, although I have made it unfrosted or glazed with a simple ganache also.

After I picked up the birthday boy from school, I made the frosting, frosted the cake and grated some milk chocolate over the top. Pleased with the outcome, I took pictures for you, my friend, and then wrapped and carried the cheesecake downstairs to put it in the basement refrigerator. I am always very careful walking down the steps with food and have never fallen, and, though you probably think I'm going to tell you I fell, I did not fall, at least not on the stairs. As I stepped down the last step and turned toward the utility room where the refrigerator is, I
did fall, right over a huge box of books that the kids had moved while they were playing ball (in the winter, in Ohio, you play soccer in the basement -- I think that's why homes in the north have basements). With the cake plate in front of me, I didn't see the box and I fell right over it with the cake plate and the cheesecake landing on the floor in front of me. I won't mention the damage the fall did to my already-hurting back, but I will tell you that the cake plate broke (it was a pretty Lenox one too!) and the cheesecake, which fell into the shards of porcelain, was inedible.

Ach! I don't even have to tell you that I cried. Yes, I did. And when I calmed down (I thought I had) and called my husband at work, he thought something horrible had happened. I'm not very good at disguising my emotions, apparently. Good man that he is, he stopped for an ice cream cake on the way home. And birthday boy got his chocolate cheesecake yesterday, when I made another. These pictures, however, are from the original.




Supreme Chocolate Cheesecake

16 Oreos, crushed
¼ cup butter, melted
3 - 8 oz cream cheese, softened
14 oz condensed milk
3 eggs
12 oz choc. chips, melted
2 t vanilla
⅓ cup butter
½ cup powdered sugar
6 oz choc. chips, melted and cooled to room temp.
2 T Grand Marnier



Combine crumbs and margarine; press into 9” springform pan.



One of my favorite kitchen appliances,
this mini Cuisinart does the crumbs and then blends the butter in seconds.



Combine cream cheese and milk; beat until blended.

Really blend the cheese and milk well.
Once you add the eggs you don't want to whip it too long.
Whipping too much air into cheesecake batter after you add the eggs,
can cause the top to crack right down the middle.




Add eggs, one at a time.

I always crack my eggs into a small bowl.
If you crack the egg right into the batter while it's whipping,
you take a chance in getting eggshell in the batter,
and if you accidentally get a bad egg, you've ruined the entire batch.




Blend in chocolate and vanilla.
Pour into crust and bake at 300 for 1 hour and 10 minutes.



Ready to pop into the oven.


Just out of the oven.


Loosen cake from rim; cool before removing rim.
Cool completely before frosting.

Beat margarine and sugar until fluffy.
Add chocolate and Grand Marnier; blend.
Frost top and sides of cheesecake.



.

1 comment: